- This event has passed.
Mt. Ararat Advanced Biology – Student Research Presentations
March 9 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Join us for presentation of research results from the 2022 fall field research season by Mt. Ararat High School’s Advanced Biology class. CREA partnered with Biology teachers Glenn Evans and Evelyn Barbour to pair students with mentors from the community. Each Thursday morning in September and October, students and mentors gathered at CREA’s Ecology Center before heading out to collect data on everything ranging from water quality to plant diversity on the heath.
Armed with game cameras, GPS units, snowshoes, coolers, flagging tape, guide books and a host of other equipment, they set out to wrestle with the real world challenges associated with data collection…while experiencing the appeal of work that has real world value. Join us to discover what they learned about our beloved preserve this year.
Join us to learn what secrets the Preserve revealed this year. You’ll be impressed by the results … and the poise of these remarkable students!
Many thanks to our 2023 mentors:
- Fred Cichocki – Survey of the ecological diversity of the Heath
- Scott Libby & Battelle – Water level and quality of the Cathance River
- David Reed – Using invertebrate diversity and water quality tests to assess health of a fishless pond
- Shane Duigan & Kevin Doran – Inventorying forestry growth in a permanent plot
- Meg Holland – Tracking and comparing bird species in different ecological communities
- Glenn Evans – Using water quality tests and invertebrate diversity to assess the health of a Cathance River tributary
- Adam Gravel, Katie Trebilcock & Stantec – Survey of mammals on the Preserve
- Evelyn Barbour – Fish survey of the Cathance River