- This event has passed.
2021 Mt. Ararat HS Biology Research on the Cathance River Nature Preserve
March 10 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
DATE MOVED to March 10! Join us for presentation of research results from the 2021 fall field research season by Mt. Ararat High School’s Honors Biology class. Every year, CREA partners with Biology teacher Glenn Evans to pair students with mentors from the community. Each Thursday morning in September and October, students and mentors gathered at CREA’s Ecology Center before heading out to collect data on everything ranging from water quality to plant diversity on the heath.
Armed with game cameras, GPS units, snowshoes, coolers, flagging tape, guide books and a host of other equipment, they set out to wrestle with the real world challenges associated with data collection…while experiencing the appeal of work that has real world value. Join us to discover what they learned about our beloved preserve this year. We’ll also hear from some alums of this class who designed a award-winning robotic water sampling device to solve a problem they encountered in their research when they took this class.
Join us to learn what secrets the Preserve revealed this year. You’ll be impressed by the results … and the poise of these remarkable students!
Many thanks to our 2021 mentors:
- Fred Cichocki – Survey of the ecological diversity of the Heath
- Scott Libby & Battelle – Water level and quality of the Cathance River
- David Reed – Using invertebrate diversity to assess water quality in the Cathance River
- Shane Duigan & Kevin Doran – Inventorying forestry growth in a permanent lot
- Meg Holland – Tracking and comparing bird species in different ecological communities
- Adam Gravel & Stantec – Survey of mammals on the Preserve
Registration is required to attend. Masks are recommended but not required.